Restaurant Review: Bar Modern


Summer is around the corner again and all the patios are opening up in and around the city. None of which as exciting as the new Bar Modern Rooftop patio! Not only is Bar Modern new along Stephen Ave (they just opened up in Jan) but they’re also opening up a new rooftop patio this year. It’s such a great location and I was literally giddy with excitement when I heard what their plans were. I had to pop in to check them out asap.

Atmosphere: Striking dining area in a beautifully refurbished room showcasing the historical sandstone walls and gorgeous architecture.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $20s


Food & Wine: I literally wanted to eat everything off of the menu. Starters, first courses, second courses, steaks, bring them all! Sadly, my stomach is only so large so we decided to go with our favorites but first and foremost the Home Made Cast Iron Tray Buns with melted garlic butter. You can never go wrong with chewy warm bread smothered in garlic butter to start a meal. It was exactly as I imagined, fluffy little pillows of joy and definitely a pleasure to eat. I probably could have had the whole tray to myself and contemplated doing so. Luckily for me, my cousin has more reason then I do and told me that there was a lot more food coming.


Next came our PEI Mussels with saffron cream, tomatoes and grilled in house baguette (yup more carbs...theme of the evening!). The mussels were juicy and perfectly cooked. I enjoyed the saffron cream, it wasn’t overly heavy as not to take away from the taste of the mussels but just perfect for dipping with the toasted baguette. The Foie Gras Mousse is something I always order when I see it on the menu and this was no different. Served with challah bread and a blackberry jam, the mousse was smooth and decadent. The blackberry jam provided that hint of sweetness that helps cut through the richness of the foie. The challah was more carb deliciousness providing a perfect vessel to transport the mousse off the plate and in to my mouth. Another winner in my books.


Last but certainly not least was the Modern Steak Tartare. Classic with cornichons, capers and yolk. A twist with the truffle oil and served with crispy gaufrette potato chips on the side. This one is for all the truffle lovers out there, yet it doesn’t overpower the taste of the steak. The chips adding that texture element which is needed in a tartare.

We ordered a bottle of the Mirabeau Rose because who doesn’t love a good rose any day, not just during the summer. It’s a crisp fruit forward rose that paired perfectly with our dishes that evening. The best part is Bar Modern has half price wine on all their bottles Thursday night, so it was definitely a steal and a great way to celebrate the (almost) end of the week.


My Pick(s): Home Made Cast Iron Tray Buns, Modern Steak Tartare

Overall: The atmosphere is amazing. It’s perfect for a evening out or drinks and eats with friends. The food and the service was fabulous as well. I could have eaten a couple more trays of those garlic buns, so needless to say I will have to be back. Especially because they will be opening up their rooftop patio soon! I can’t wait to see the view and enjoy a couple glasses of rose up there. Just a reminder that it is 18+ only unfortunately, so leave the kiddos at home and make a night out of it!

Bar Modern
100 8 Avenue SE
Calgary, AB
(403) 244-3600
Website: barmodern.ca

Comments

  1. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck.

    order food online with Good Bitee. Start food business to delicious homemade food from your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment