Restaurant Review: Flower & Wolf


One of the best things about eating in general whether it be at home or going out is sharing it with loved ones. It’s something me and my husband love to do. It’s time for us to wind down and reconnect. So even after having 2 kids we still try to go out and enjoy a nice meal with the kids in tow. It is definitely a lot harder now since we need to navigate feeding them and trying to keep them entertained but we enjoy our time with them and want them to be part of the evening. Don’t get me wrong of course there are times we just need to be by ourselves and that’s ok too. Luckily for us we have the grandparents to take them for the evening.


On the flip side we often also enjoy bringing out the whole family for a huge get together over food. I think being Asian, it’s just a part of family and how we’ve always done it growing up. Spending time together over great food. So, I was interested to find out that the meaning behind the restaurant name Flower & Wolf meant a gathering place for family and friends (the flower is family and wolf is for friends). What a great name and I was super excited when I was invited down to check them out.

Atmosphere: A large dining and lounge area with retro inspired themes and a laid back vibe. A great space for events, a drink or dining with friends and family.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $30+


Food & Wine: The menu was speaking my language and had so many items on there that I wanted to try. It was truly difficult narrowing it down to just a couple dishes. One dish I knew I had to order was the Foie Gras and Waffle. An amazing play on chicken and waffles except with a delicious lobe of foie! It was served with maple syrup, blueberries, truffle and crème fraiche. Everything went together so well and none of the elements overpowered one another. The creaminess, the sweetness, the crunch, it was perfection on a plate.


We also had the Beef Tartare to start with an oyster aioli, dill, capers and accompanied by some fennel crackers. I liked the added touch of the fennel in the crackers and it brought out the flavour of the beef tartare. If you’re a bit thrown off by the color, don’t be. It’s due to the oyster aioli that’s used to add a bit of brininess to the dish along with the tartness of the capers. I thought both of our appetizers went very well with my glass of Mionetto Prosecco which helped to cleanse the palette after every bite.

The hubby paired our dishes with an Orange Spiced Old Fashioned, what set this old fashioned apart was the orange spiced simple syrup which made it a bit sweeter. I preferred this over the typical old fashioned since I’m not a huge bourbon fan but there was something with this one that I really enjoyed. A nice twist on a classic.


For mains I decided on the 12oz Ribeye which I had rare and it was cooked to perfection. It was tender and remained both juicy and succulent. The steak was served with choices of sauce and side, I decided to go with the salsa verde which provided a nice kick in flavour. For the side I went with the roasted root vegetables with toasted pumpkin seeds, maple gastrique and arugula, recently added to their menu. I thought the ribeye played quite nicely with the fruity notes of the Powers Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, which they serve by the glass.


The hubby ordered the Fogo Island Cod, a new addition to their menu. It was accompanied by celeriac puree, salsa verde and topped with an herb salad. Its perfect for those that are looking for something a bit lighter, but the dish itself doesn’t leave you feeling like you need more. The flavours are substantial and go nicely together with the cod being the star. It also comes with a choice of side and we got to try the Charred Broccoli with lemon yogurt, cumin vinaigrette and caramelized onions. The tartness of the yogurt and the vinaigrette helps cuts through other heavier dishes. It’s a great side and a nice spin on broccoli.


We had to order the dessert since they all sounded amazing. The hardest part was again picking which one to order (if I could I would have had them all!). However, I was told that the Banoffee Pie is a crowd favorite so I decided to try it. Made with layers dulche de leche, caramelized bananas and whipped cream, I couldn’t go wrong and was so glad I ordered it. I basically inhaled the pie because it was creamy and decadent without being over the top. I could probably have eaten another slice or two! We also ordered the Warm Chocolate Cake because one dessert is never enough. The cake itself was fluffy and drizzled with chocolate sauce with a side of espresso ice cream. The ice cream was packed full of flavour and it nicely complimented the cake. I would even order the ice cream by itself. Both desserts were a great way to finish off our amazing meal that evening.


My Pick(s): Foie Gras & Waffle, Banoffee Pie

Overall: I’m not lying when I said I read the menu and truly wanted to try everything because it all sounded amazing. Tartares, calamari, foie, it’s like they were reading my mind. The flavours were on point and the presentation was spot on. There is something for everyone so bring down your loved ones and spend some quality time with them over food and drink!

Flower & Wolf
255 Barclay Parade SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 517-6666
Website: flowerandwolfcalgary.com

Comments