Restaurant Review: Chefbar


There’s a little hidden place off 11th that I’ve been visiting on and off over the last couple years called Canvas. Recently they’ve changed owners and I was curious to see what the new restaurant was all about and I’m glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised by what I tasted at Chefbar (not to be confused with Charbar).

Atmosphere: Small intimate dining room for those who’s looking for a romantic evening out.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $20+

Food & Wine: We started the evening off with lots of veggies including the Kale Caesar which came with a runny poached egg on top, smoked bacon, toasted brioche and shaved grana padano cheese. It was a nice twist to your conventional caesar salad. The hearty kale held up well against the creamy dressing. The runny yolk and brioche provided different textural contrasts which I really liked. I highly recommend it to those who are looking for something different.

 
We also had the Roasted Cauliflower tossed in smoked paprika oil and topped with capers and parsley. You don’t see cauliflower on the menu often and I feel like it’s an under used vegetable. It was a surprise to see it highlighted here. The cauliflower itself still retained a nice crunchy texture and was paired well with the tangy capers and smoky paprika.

For the main we shared the Braised Short Ribs served over risotto with lots of delicious jus. This dish screams comfort food to me, while still remaining elevated with the use of risotto rice opposed to plain rice or vegetables. The short ribs were fall of the bone tender, coupled with all that delicious jus, it was exactly what I was hoping for and more with the risotto being a big bonus! This dish was their special of the day and I’m really hoping they put it on their menu!

 
I decided to have Mojito that evening opposed to my go to red wine. The server mentioned that their bartender made a kickin’ mojito and how could I possibly refuse? It was definitely a refreshing drink and perfect for those looking for something sweet without it being cloyingly so.

My Pick: Braised Short Ribs

Overall: The food truly does speak for itself but aside from their delectable offerings, I really enjoy the space of Chefbar. It’s intimate and cozy perfect for those nights where you’re looking to go out but wanting something a little quiet, but I guess now that I’m letting the cat out of the bag, it’s not going to be hard for me to find a table there!

Chefbar
602 11 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB
(587) 353-1299
Website: chefbar.ca

Chefbar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Comments