Sticky Soy Chicken Drumsticks Recipe


Do you remember growing up and your parents were exasperated trying to figure out what you would eat for dinner? Well for me it was simple. They’d ask me what I wanted and my answer was always the same – chicken. It was easy enough for my parents to whip up a chicken dish or two, they’re fabulous cooks, but the problem laid more in the fact that I literally requested chicken at every meal. So my parent’s tasks weren’t so much as trying to get me to eat but trying to figure out more recipes so they themselves weren’t sick of eating chicken every day of the week.

I’ve found the same problem has carried over to my adult life. I definitely eat a lot more different types of foods now, but my comfort go to is and will always be chicken. Just ask my husband, I think he now fully understands how my parents felt back in the day. In order to keep things interesting for all, I often play around with various recipes especially when it comes to chicken.

I recently tried a new recipe that was worthy of a mention on the blog. This chicken was gooey and sticky, reminding me of eating wings but healthier. I couldn’t help but add in a couple ingredients of my own for the blog. I quite enjoyed it and I really hope you do to. Hmm..maybe I’ll make it again next week. 


Ingredients:

2 1/2 pound chicken drumsticks (or other cuts if you aren’t a huge drumstick fan)
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup honey
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp garlic salt
salt
pepper
Optional: 2 tbsp Sambal Chili Garlic Sauce (can be found in your local Chinese grocery aisle)

 
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large mixing bowl, add in chicken and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Put the chicken back in to the fridge to marinate while preparing the sauce.

In a separate bowl, mix together the soy sauce, ketchup, honey, garlic cloves, garlic salt, chili sauce (if using).

Add the sauce to the chicken, mix thoroughly to ensure all the drumsticks are covered. If you have time, allowing the drumsticks to marinate for at least 30 mins will allow the flavours to penetrate the meat. However, if you’re tight on time, you can prep them for the oven straight away.

Place the chicken on a flat sheet pan and in to the oven for approximately 25-30 mins. Put a fork in to the drumsticks and if the liquid runs clear then they’re ready.

Serve and enjoy.

Makes 3-4 servings.

Comments