Restaurant Review: Vendome Cafe

 
Autumn has really started to settle over the city of Calgary. The leaves are changing colour and there is a crispness in the air. It’s quite an adjustment for us since we recently got back from vacation, but I appreciate it. I’m glad that we’re still able to enjoy the warmer weather before snow starts to fall. At the same time I’m also looking forward to wearing all the cozy sweaters and taking in all the delicious fall foods and drinks.

A great place that’s recently opened up again in Kensington is Vendome Café. It’s slightly outside the hustle and bustle of the core without being too far away and they serve a mean cup of coffee.

Atmosphere: Complete contrast from the old Vendome interior. The updated space now features contemporary designs with a large bar at the front, a good sized seating area and outdoor patio.

Price Range: Mid $10s


Food & Drinks: The coffee is definitely the star at Vendome with delicious Cappuccinos and Americanos made to order, but that’s not it. Their food here is definitely worth a mention. I had the Duck Confit Panini with caramelized onions and truffle aioli, which was packed full of flavour. The sweetness of the caramelized onions was a perfect complement to the tender duck and you can never go wrong with truffled aioli. They also have half portions if you’re only looking for a snack but I’ll bet you’ll wish you had the full order.

My husband ordered the Croque Monsieur made with elquin ham, gruyere cheese and topped with béchamel and served with fresh side salad. The gooey cheese and béchamel combo is hard to resist and Vendome does it right. My husband quite enjoyed it with the salad, to help lighten things up a bit. They also serve a wide range of brunch and lunch/dinner dishes so there are lots of options to choose from.


We couldn’t pass up on a treat as well and got the Cherry Tart. It was perfectly balanced, not too sweet or too tart. I thought it was lovely with my coffee. I definitely want to go back so I can try all their other freshly made treats as well.

My Pick: Duck Confit Panini

 
Overall: Although I’m sad that summer is technically over. I’m glad that there are places like Vendome that make hiding out during the winter that much easier. That said I’m sure you’ll find many people lining up for Vendome’s delicious food and coffee all year round! So be sure to arrive early to get a table because everybody's quite excited that they've reopened their doors!

For my radio review please click here.

Vendome Café
940 2 Ave NW
Calgary, AB
(403) 453-1140
Website: vendomecafe.com

Click to add a blog post for Vendome Cafe on Zomato

Comments