Restaurant Review: Galaxie Diner

 
I’ve been meaning to stop by Galaxie Diner for a long time now, ever since I first tried the Montreal smoked meat at their sister restaurant Myhre’s Deli next door. However the wait for a table always daunted me, but for a new brunch column I’m doing for CBC’s the Homestretch (airs every other Thursday) I decided to give it a go. We were prepared for a wait when we were heading down to the diner, but as luck would have it we ended up with the last open table!

Atmosphere: 1950s style retro diner which transports you in time.

Price Range: Mid $10s


Food: After a quick peek at the menu I decided on the Pacific Omelet, which consists of BC Smoked salmon with fresh spinach, cream cheese stuffed inside the omelet and served with hash browns and toast. It was a good sized omelet with lots of hash and whole wheat toast on the side making for quite the portion. All the ingredients are classic and go well together, it combined the best of both worlds, fluffy eggs with lox and cream cheese. I enjoyed the addition of spinach and wouldn’t have minded a bit more just to get my greens in for the meal.

I had a couple bites of my husband’s Montreal Smoked Meat Hash and it was amazing! So flavourful! Loved how they crisped up the meat and sautéed the hash with onions, banana peppers and mushrooms. It was salty and spicy coupled with a nice crunch from the crispy smoked meat and the creamy yolks from the fried eggs. We really enjoyed the addition of banana peppers and will definitely be stealing that idea for home.


We couldn’t leave without trying one of their homemade milkshakes which comes in flavours apple pie, malt, classic vanilla. We opted for the coconut, which was super tasty. It came with lots of chunky coconut pieces but still nice and creamy.

Here is the live radio broadcast on the CBC Homestretch site - click here.

My Pick: Montreal Smoked Meat Hash

Overall: I can see why there’s always a line up at Galaxie because the food here is worth the wait. I’m looking forward to trying their other signature dishes in the future and who knows maybe I’ll luck out again with the seating. If not, they do serve coffee for those that are waiting!

Galaxie Diner
1413 11 street SW
Calgary, AB
(404) 228-0001
Website: www.galaxiediner.com

Click to add a blog post for Galaxie Diner on Zomato

Comments