Restaurant Review: Briggs Kitchen and Bar



 

Stress has reached brand new heights at work lately and when I think it can’t get any more demanding….it does. Every request is priority number 1, urgent or they need it ASAP. However, I know I’m not alone and try to take solace in that. So I jumped at the chance when my coworker decided that we should go for a quick lunch. Sometimes, it helps to just turn my brain off even if it’s only for an hour. We decided that it would be nice to get away from our usual neighbouring joints and head a little further out, which is how we found ourselves at Briggs Kitchen and Bar, a new restaurant that opened up on 10th Ave, a perfect distance for a quick lunch getaway to allow ourselves some time to relax.

Atmosphere: Rustic meets contemporary in the edgy dining area, featuring a great patio, open kitchen and a large bar. One can definitely start and end the night here.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $20+

 
Food & Wine: We dropped by for a quick lunch the other day and it was tough to pick and choose what we wanted to try. We finally opted on the ‘Sharing Plates’ giving us the best of all worlds. The kitchen was extremely quick and our food arrived shortly after we place our order, perfect for those that are in a hurry during a weekday lunch. The first dish was the Crispy Humbolt Calamari with fresh and light fennel, arugula and a creamy tomato aioli for dipping. The calamari was presented with a thicker cut, which I preferred because you can really taste the squid itself. Since it’s humbolt squid, it was extremely tender. The breaded crust added the nice crunch that I was looking for. I also really liked the flavor combination of the fennel with the squid, making the dish feel extremely light.

We had to order the Salmon Pretzel Sliders. How could one resist anything on a pretzel bun? Served with pickled cucumbers, a caper mayo and chunks of salmon, the flavour combination was on point. The chewiness of the pretzel bun added the needed mouth feel and really brought the sandwich together. I probably could have eaten another 3 of these...or more.

 
Up next were the Herb & Potato Gnocchi in a sage brown butter sauce featuring lots of smoky mushrooms and doughy gnocchi. The first few bites were great, the gnocchi themselves were soft and tender however it did get a bit heavy due to the brown butter sauce. I found that it needed a bit of citrus to brighten as well as lighten up the dish. It’s definitely one to be shared.

At the last minute we decided to add the Hearty Flatbread and I’m glad we did.  Like a breakfast in pizza form the combination of prosciutto and swiss cheese topped with a perfectly fried egg tasted like the perfect hearty breakfast sandwich. A comforting and warm dish that I wished could have been served to me in bed. I would highly recommend it to those that are looking at alternative brunch options!

 
We didn’t sample any of the wines or cocktails that day since we there for a quick lunch, but they looked really tasty (here’s looking at you, Strawberry Pisco Sour), plus the cocktails are all 1.5oz which never hurts!

My Picks: Hearty Flatbread, Salmon Pretzel Sliders

Overall: Both my coworker and I were very impressed with the food, service and atmosphere at Briggs. We agreed that it was the perfect location for a quick lunch getaway, especially if you’re looking for a nice walk to a place outside your usual lunch spots yet not too far away. However, I’m curious about what it would be like during dinner. Guess I’ll just have to stop by again and check it out! Update: I definitely recommend Briggs for dinner as well. There are many great options to choose from, the Tomahawk Steak being one of my favorites. I'll make a note to do a dinner post soon.

Briggs Kitchen and Bar
317 10 Ave SW
Calgary, AB
(587) 380-5015
Website: www.briggskandb.com

 
Briggs Kitchen and Bar on Urbanspoon

Comments

Post a Comment