Korean Kalbi Shortribs Recipe and Blogging


As most bloggers out there know and truly understand, blogging isn’t just some easy feat where you sit down for 5 minutes and punch out an article. It isn’t where you can just expect any random post to capture people so that they want to read it, enjoy it and truly identify with it. Blogs take time, a lot of it, especially when you’re trying to express what you truly feel about certain topics.

For me, it has been expressed through my enjoyment of food, whereas for others its fashion, lifestyle, photography, etc. In the end, each post still involves time and energy, of which many are already lacking in. I for one am usually tired from a long stressful day and work, so it’s often difficult trying to refocus my thoughts and formulate them in to a blog post. People ask me why do it then....well my blogs help me relieve that tension, by allowing me to articulate how I feel about a topic that I’m truly passionate about.

Many who aren’t bloggers don’t seem to understand that we don’t do it for the perks or for exposure, but more so to share our thoughts and ideas with others around the world. My blog is truly a place where I cay put myself out there, maybe be judged by others, but it’s my own. Here is where I experiment with not only my recipes, but with the way I express myself with words. All I can do is hope that people who are reading it or following my recipes enjoy the results, which is what occurred recently when I ventured outside of the box and attempted to cook Korean cuisine.


Yes, Korean is Asian food and the ingredients are fairly similar to Chinese cuisine but the difficulty with Korean is many of the dishes require quite a bit of marinating time. If the marinade isn’t prepared correctly, it could result in an under or over seasoned dish. Devastating because when you find out that it’s not correctly flavoured, it’s already too late to go back to square one. Especially when there are starving party guests waiting anxiously nearby! So I had to make sure that I got the ingredients and proportions just right. Luckily for me, the dish was a success and nothing feels better than having people enjoy the food that you’ve prepared. Just like blogging, having people provide you positive feedback is its own best reward!

I’ve incorporated the Kalbi recipe below along with a delicious Ssamjang sauce recipe. Both were adapted from Food Network, but adjusted to be a bit healthier. Hope you enjoy!

Korean Kalbi Shortribs Recipe

Ingredients:
4 pounds Korean style beef short ribs (you can always find these at T&T in Calgary)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup rice wine (can be found at most Chinese supermarkets including Superstore)
1 small onion, peeled
1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeds removed
5 cloves garlic
2 tbsp dark sesame oil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt

Preparation:
In a large mixing bowl, add the short ribs and sprinkle the brown sugar to evenly coat each short rib. Set aside while preparing marinade

In a small bowl, combine low sodium soy sauce, water, rice wine, sesame oil, pepper and salt

Grate the onion, Asian pear and garlic cloves in to the marinade

Pour the marinade over the short ribs and make sure each short rib is coated

Transfer the short ribs in to 2 large freezer bags and place in the fridge

Remember to rotate the bags at least once or twice to ensure each rib is evenly coated

Let it marinate overnight

When ready to grill, heat the BBQ to medium hot or set the oven to 475ºF (I personally prefer the grill because it gives the short ribs the smokiness that makes it true Korean Kalbi, but for those that don’t have a grill, the oven works just fine, I would suggest maybe searing it as well as another option)

Drain the excess marinade in to a small pot and place on grill (3-4 mins per side) or in oven (approx. 15 mins)

Heat the pot of leftover marinade on the stove top on medium heat until it slightly reduces.

Remove the short ribs from grill or oven, pour sauce on top and serve.

Makes 4 servings


I highly recommend serving it with the following Ssamjang sauce, which isn’t traditional, I’ve definitely changed it a bit so please let me know what you think!

Ssamjang Sauce

Ingredients:
2 tbsp gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste, can be found at T&T or Korean grocery stores)
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 tsp honey
2 tsp sesame seeds (toasted is optional, it provides and additional flavour kick)
2 tsp sesame oil

Preparation:
In a small bowl, add in all the ingredients.

Mix well until everything is combined.

The sauce can be served with rice, on top of the above short ribs or other Korean style BBQ meat! It’s also a great dipping sauce for hot pot!
Enjoy!

Comments