Market Sneak Peek


Recently I was watching a TED talk about how the population adopts new ideas or more scientifically, the diffusion of innovations. Essentially we’re all grouped in to 5 categories, the innovators, early adopters, early majority, late majority and laggards. It really made me think about how the world is starting to view food. No longer do we want to eat what’s processed and easily accessible. People are starting to question more and more about their food, where it’s come from and whether it’s been treated ethically. We as a population are becoming more aware of what we’re eating. This can only be a good thing, people need to be educated about their food and I’m glad that in this case, we’re more in the early adoption or early majority categories.


So I was extremely excited to hear that there was a new restaurant in Calgary who is also focusing on farm to table cuisine. Yes, it seems like there are more and more of these restaurants, but could we ever have too many? Well I was lucky enough to be amongst the group of people that was invited to their sneak peek night, where we got to sample various items off their menu.

Everybody was greeted warmly at the door with a lovely glass of the Argyle Brut Sparkling Wine and introduced to the set up that night. Different food stations were located around the restaurant with each showcasing a special dish and drink pairing. Everyone was encouraged to mix and mingle throughout the space. Before I started however, I was drawn to the décor of the dining area. Very farm house contemporary. Contrasts of colors between black with white and the lighting fixtures throughout were whimsical with an antique flare. I especially liked the design of the lights above the bar.


I couldn’t stay distracted too long though because right next to the entrance was the oyster station meant to pair with the sparkling wine. I enjoy many things and oysters are definitely one of them, naturally briny it’s a perfect match with the acidic mignonette and tart sparkling wine. It was hard not to want to linger by this station all evening, but I knew there were other surprises around the corner.


Just when I thought that, a server approached with a platter of macarons. Not just your typical sweet dessert macarons, but a savoury Foie Gras Macaron. It was my favourite item of the night. The meringue exterior was crunchy but literally melted in your mouth unleashing the amazing creaminess of the foie. It was served with the Ratified cocktail, which is a combination of St Remy Brandy, white cranberries and bitters. Each sip accentuated the taste of the foie ending with a lovely lingering finish.

The next station featured the Scotch Quail Eggs paired with what they coined as the Johnny Winter Love Affair cocktail made with Johnny walker black, cinnamon syrup, bitters and sparkling wine. The eggs were coated in a crunchy exterior providing extra texture contrasting it with the soft boiled interior. I really enjoyed the cocktail which was reminiscent of sipping apple cider. It’d be perfect by a warm fireplace.


At the back of the dining room, where the kitchen was located they were serving a Charcuterie and artisanal cheese platter showcasing all their house made goodies including head cheese, air dry bison, mortadella and duck rillette. Even the crackers, bread and preserves served along side the platter were made fresh in house. My favourite combo was the mortadella (with pistachios strewn throughout) and their house made mustard. It went nicely with the Blasted Church Merlot, exhibiting cherry flavours with a hint of spice and a long finish.


Other delights we were introduced to included a 12 min Sous Vide Egg topped with a light Chive Chantilly Whip, which was a favourite among several guests. I enjoyed the Bison Tartar, served over top house made crackers and topped with springs of chives (also grown in their own herb garden, look for it in the open kitchen). There were also freshly baked Chocolate Chip Cookies that were straight from the oven and still warm! They were chewy with a lovely crispy edge and weren’t overly too sweet. I’d have to say I was guilty of having more than just one but lucky for me I had partners in crime.


I’m looking forward to going back and trying other items off of their menu. Lucky for me, my friends have already booked us a table! There’s definitely nothing wrong with being an early adopter, especially if it means I get to taste delicious food before word gets out and people book up all the space!

MARKET on Urbanspoon

Comments