Doughnuts Galore at Jelly Modern


A friend of mine was recently in a doughnut competition and it was a lot of fun helping her collect votes to win the contest where her flavour choice would be made in to a new doughnut creation! All the doughnut talk made me realize how much I missed the doughnut. For a long time North America was focused on the cupcakes and then it was the macarons. Well I believe it’s now the doughnuts time to shine and not just the ones found at your local Timmies, but handmade specialty doughnuts, which is exactly what Jelly Modern Doughnuts have done.

I was lucky enough to sample a bunch of their creations various times (especially one time when I got a whole dozen of them, but that’s a different story for another time). To this day my favourite is still the Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla doughnut. It’s a classic raised doughnut dipped with a lightly sweetened Madagascar vanilla glaze and topped with pink sprinkles. The sprinkles remind me of the doughnuts I used to eat when I was a kid, but Jelly’s version is definitely the grown up variation.

The glaze itself is lightly sweetened and isn’t overwhelming. I find a lot of glazes to be overbearing but this one was just enough. I was able to eat the whole doughnut without the urge of wanting to scrape the glaze off, which can often happen to me. The doughnut itself was soft, I didn’t even want to hold it for too long because I was squishing it with my fingers (luckily that really wasn't a problem since I inhaled it). It was hard not to eat another one after finishing the first.

I’ve also had the opportunity to try several other flavours including Coconut, S’mores and Carrot Cake. The carrot cake is another one of my favourites. Nicely spiced, with hints of cinnamon aroma and flavour all topped with mascarpone icing. It was a bit sweeter than the vanilla but just as soft and cakey. Tasted like eating a gourmet carrot cake and just the right portion size, although again I could probably eat more than one at a time.

I really enjoyed all the different flavour options that Jelly provides and if you’re adventurous, there are also many other flavours like the maple bacon and gummy bear doughnuts to try. Plus, they also have a flavour of the month, so if you keep checking back there are many different varieties to sample. Jelly also does preorders for doughnut cakes, so they’re a great substitution for cupcakes or birthday cakes at parties. It’s always nice to switch it up, plus what more fun then being a kid in a doughnut shop?!

Jelly Modern Doughnuts
1414 8 Street SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 453-2053
Website: http://www.jellymoderndoughnuts.com/

Jelly Modern Doughnuts on Urbanspoon

Comments