Restaurant Review: A Ladybug Bakery and Cafe



Nothing says weekend like a good decadent brunch, so it’s really nice to see all the new places offering a brunch menu. I enjoy going out of my way on the weekends to find special brunch locations and with the long weekend coming up; it’s a perfect time to explore. We tend to venture to the mission area of town, but my friend was telling me about this quaint little French bakery in the SW near Aspen called A Ladybug Bakery and Café. With a precious name like that, I figured their dishes must be more of the same.

Atmosphere: Both a pastisserie and coffee shop with many delectable brunch dishes made to order with an open and bright dining area.

Price Range: Mid $10s

Food and Coffee: When you first enter the café, the setup will direct you past the amazing display of pastries and desserts where you can spend 10 mins ogling the choices then place your order. I decided to go sweet that day and my husband decided to go savory, so it was the perfect combo (especially when I was planning on sneaking food off his plate anyhow).



You then pick a table in the dining area and your order gets delivered to you just like in a restaurant. The idea is pretty neat and very efficient but get here early because it gets busy! Once we sat down, it didn’t take very long before our food arrived. I got the Strawberry Waffle with whipped cream and jam. I don’t know how else to describe it besides gorgeous. It was a beautiful plate and it took me a bit of time before I actually wanted to dig in and ruin it, but the stomach overpowered all that. The waffle was fluffy and light but crunchy and flavourful. It wasn’t overly sweet, which was my concern when I looked at it. There was just enough to fill me up without being stuffed.

My husband tried the Salmon Crepe with dill yogurt sauce. The crepe was chewy with pieces of smoked salmon throughout. We did find the yogurt sauce a bit overwhelming after a while and it became a bit heavy.

The americano and cappuccino that we ordered was a great way to kick off the day. They were serving both Peruvian or Costa Rican roasts that day. I opted for the Costa Rica one and it made a very nice shot of coffee. The cappuccino was creamy as well.



To end our meal we had to go back and order something from the pastry display (its just so captivating). The Vanilla Croissant that we decided on was flaky and delicious, not very sweet and just the right amount of chewiness. I would have went back for the Pain au Chocolat had I not been so full!

My Pick: Waffles, Croissants

Overall: What better way then to wake up your senses on the weekend with a lovingly prepared platter of amazing food. Sometimes it’s worth it to drive that extra distance to get that extra extravagance.

A Ladybug Bakery and Café2132 10 Aspen Stone Blvd
Calgary, AB
(403) 249-5530
Website: www.ladybugandcafe.com/

A Ladybug Bakery and Cafe on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. Pretty nice coffee. Those croissants look scrumptious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment