Chili Kebabs


Kebabs


A few of the girls I know are pregnant right now and its interesting listening in on their conversations of pregnancy, especially the ones that are food related. Little naïve me was apparently completely oblivious to the amount of things you couldn’t eat, drink or stand next to (ok, so I threw the last one in because if I knew I couldn’t touch it and was only a foot away from it, it’d be consumed before…oh what? It’s gone.). Then there’s nursing and that’s a whole other bag of worms which I won’t even attempt to get in to.

There are those items that are more apparent like alcohol (bye bye wine), sushi (bye bye tuna) and caffeinated beverages (bye bye espressos...wow I’m getting myself depressed just thinking about it all). However what shocked me most was the rare beef, soft cheeses and alfalfa sprouts! Poor little sprouts never meant to hurt nobody..but apparently they do since they’re on the bad list.

So after hearing all these things, I think it’ll be a long while before I can even think about having kids. As much as I’d love to think that the cuteness of them would make me change my mind, I’m one for immediate gratification and there really isn’t anything more immediate then downing a delicious meal. Objective complete! Ok, maybe ask me the same question a couple years from now and my answer might be a bit different, but for the time being I’m going to be enjoying my rare steaks and red wine. What can I say? I’m a foodie number 1 and definitely a future parent number 1,237,285,375.

I dedicate the following recipe to all those courageous women out there who are mom to bes, I truly commend you and your willpower! This recipe can be made to order, if you are going to be using steak, make sure to get a cut of beef that can withstand the heat without losing its tenderness.

Kebabs
Based on a food network recipe.
Ingredients:2 pounds of top sirloin steak or chicken thighs
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 cup water or chicken broth
Any type of grilling vegetables, Eg. Peppers, zucchinis, mushrooms, onions, etc.

Preparation:Cut the steak or chicken thighs in to cubes and place in a mixing bowl.

Add in chili powder, sugar, salt, thyme, pepper and water / broth. Mix thoroughly and let the marinade sit overnight, if possible or at least 2 hours.

When ready to cook preheat the BBQ, presoak some wooden skewers (to prevent them from burning), alternate the meat with the vegetables on the skewer and place on the grill.

Baste the kebabs after 5 minutes with left over marinade.

Grill for roughly 10-12 minutes for medium rare to rare steak kebabs, additional 5 minutes for well done kebabs. Remember that the meat will continue to cook a bit after you remove it from the grill and since they're smaller pieces of meat, it cooks much faster than normal.

Grill for 15-20 minutes for chicken kebabs.

Comments