Uptowne Gelato Experience


Uptowne Gelato - Scrumptiously Fit Food

It’s been 5 months and 9 days since my last vacation and I’m definitely feeling the lull. It might be due to the incessantly fluctuating Calgary weather or the fact that it’s still another 4 months until my next vacation and boy did I need a little pick me up. So off we go for a brisk walk to our neighbourhood gelateria, Uptowne Gelato - located in Mckenzie Towne, a mere 10 minute walk from our house. As we make our trek towards the quaint little strip mall that’s built to resemble a small town centre, I was daydreaming about all the times we had gelato on our European trip (being delusional is the only way one survives in Calgary). I couldn’t stop thinking about all the delicious flavours I tried and was extremely excited once we reached the entrance way. Not to mention that it’s actually open (we usually tend to crave gelato on Sundays, which seems to be the only day that the store is closed)!

Once inside, you’re privy to all the flavours displayed in a style similar to Italian gelaterias, plus the owners are more than willing to give samples of all the delicious flavours. After some thought and several samplings, I finally decided to go with the tried and true hazelnut gelato, it was a staple for me when I was in Italy and since I was daydreaming about the trip anyhow, why stop now? We decided to sit at one of the tables on the side and dig in (plus I was eyeing some of the
Illy coffee they had on display).

I couldn’t wait to scoop out a big chunk with my spoon, the only way to eat gelato! The flavour worked well in taking me far and away from dreary Calgary (the nuttiness always reminded me of eating a ferrero rocher chocolate), until I heard a grumble on the other side of the table. Apparently the grapefruit and blood orange mix wasn’t quite what he had imagined before ordering. Of course for comparison sake, I had to take a scoop out of his as well and I must say that I was glad to have chosen hazelnut.

All in all, I was happy to have finally gotten my gelato fix in Calgary (might be back soon for that Illy coffee!), although it will never quite compare to eating gelato in Italy or elsewhere in Europe, it was nice to sit back relax and fantasize about being a million miles away for 20 minutes. But now that we’re back to reality, so begins my vacation countdown again.

Uptowne Gelato
640 – 26 Mckenzie Towne Gate SE
(403) 726-9447



Uptowne Gelato on Urbanspoon

Comments