Healthy Banana Bread Recipe


Healthier Banana Bread - Scrumptiously Fit Food

I’ve been craving banana bread like mad lately and I’m one that has to satisfy my cravings (I even had to go buy some during work at the Sunterra market), since avoidance only makes me eat everything else around me AND what I was craving to begin with as well. After realizing that it’s just easier to give up and eat what I crave, life has been just that much easier and most satisfying.

So here’s my rendition of banana bread. I know there are tons of different recipes for banana bread on the internet and any one search on Google or Yahoo proves this, but everybody tends to have a favorite recipe that they’ve had for a long time and I wanted to share mine with you (might as well add mine in to the mix). I can’t quite remember where I got this recipe, probably through an online search way back in the day, but through time I’ve made a few modifications to it and have been quite happy with the outcomes. Although it uses butter instead of the ‘healthier’ options that other recipes suggest, you can definitely substitute it with sour cream or canola oil and I’ve added those alternatives in below. If you do try it with those alternatives, please let me know what you thought of the outcome!

Bananas - Scrumptiously Fit Food Ingredients:
4 ripe bananas
¼ cup melted butter (or ¼ cup canola oil or ¼ cup milk)
½ cup low fat yogurt (or ½ cup sour cream)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 egg beaten (or 2 egg whites)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all purpose flour

I normally like to have my banana bread plain and as is, but feel free to add any of the following to change it up a bit:
Optional: 1 tsp cinnamon
Optional: chopped walnuts
Optional: dark chocolate chunks

Banana Bread Batter - Scrumptiously Fit FoodPreparation:
Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Smash the bananas until there are no longer any large chunks, mix in melted butter (oil or milk) and yogurt (or sour cream). Add in brown sugar, sugar, egg and vanilla. Then add in the baking soda and salt, ensuring it’s all combined. Mix the whole wheat flour and all purpose flour together and slowly add in to wet mixture.

Bake for 45-50 mins, check with a toothpick by inserting it in to the bread. If the toothpick comes out clean then the banana bread is done. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Wonderful post! We are linking to this particularly great post on our website. Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by! Glad you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment