Welcome the Year with Waffles



Happy 2017!!! What a chilly start it’s been! I know we live in Calgary and it’s meant to be cold but I feel like we haven’t really gotten many chinooks so far this winter. So there hasn’t been much of a break to this bitter cold. Maybe it’s because we were so spoiled last year. I remember I barely even had to take out my boots last year. I suppose that’s what we go on winter vacations to warm destinations. I can’t wait to leave on our trip for a bit of sand and sun but until then I wanted to share a recipe with everyone before I take a little break from blogging.

In the Chinese culture we like to start the new year with something a bit sweet to signify that it will be a year full of happiness. I know it’s not quite Chinese New Year yet, which is near the end of Jan but since I’m still out of town then I thought I might kill two birds with one stone. I figured it might be nice to start with a delicious waffle recipe that’s made to be a bit more healthy for those who are starting off the new year with a new eating plan.

I enjoy waffles at all times of the year, they’re great sweet or savory and with this recipe the waffles taste great even when made the day before and then reheated in the toaster oven for those days when we just can’t seem to find the time. Hope this recipe brings with it a happy and healthy 2017!


Whole Wheat Waffle Recipe

Ingredients:

1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp of soy milk or regular milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

Preparation:

Preheat the waffle iron and set aside.

Separate the egg yolk and egg whites. Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the egg yolks, melted butter or oil, milk and vanilla extract.

Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.

Add in the whipped up egg whites and fold until incorporated.

Scoop out roughly 1 cup of batter in to the waffle iron and cook as per instructions of waffle iron.

Makes 3 large waffles.

Comments