Restaurant Review: Purple Perk Coffee Market

 
There are times when I visit some place so often that I forget to blog about them. I must subconsciously not want to share one of my favorite spots in town. Then again Purple Perk is no hidden secret. Not only is it a great place to stop by for some coffee and people watch, I find that I’ve gotten some of my best work done there when concentration was waning at home. So here I am finally getting around to sharing some of my favorite eats for those times you find yourself stopping in to the café.

Atmosphere: Laidback and cozy, a perfect home away from home for days when you just need some time to enjoy life (or fully concentrate).

Price Range: Mid $10s


Food & Coffee: Not only are the surroundings comfortable and relaxing, but the food and coffee are also spectacular, which is a killer combo. Since we often find ourselves wandering over to the Perk, there are few items that we have yet to try including their delicious baked goods (mmm..banana bread, so moist and flavourful). However I recommend the menu items if you’re going to be planning to stay for a while.

Our favorite go to is the Ruben Tuesday, done with layers of succulent corned beef, tons of sauerkraut, swiss cheese and thousand island dressing all on marbled pumpernickel bread. The classic flavours meld together and form one fantastic bite. If you can ever stop at just one that is, the sandwich is so moist and juicy that it doesn’t tend to last very long, served alongside some homemade chips, which are addictive all on their own. If you want some greens instead, you can also choose the house salad as a side, made from fresh vegetables drizzled with a balsamic glaze.


A great healthy option that is just as tasty is the Mango A Go Go Salad, a spinach salad topped with grilled chicken, fresh mango, almonds in a garlicky grapefruit dressing and served with a side of garlic toast. I enjoyed the sweetness combined with the tang of the vinaigrette making a refreshing salad. For those that are looking for a heartier version, there’s the Fajita Salad. Grilled steak with mixed greens, avocado, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and mozzarella in a tortilla bowl with a balsamic dressing. There’s additional salsa and guacamole on the side for those who want to dig right in to the bowl itself, which I highly recommend to get that extra texture contrast.

If you’re feeling like some afternoon pancakes, Purple Perk also whips up all day breakfast. Their Montana Flapjacks come 3 to an order with each being the size of the plate they’re served on. They also come with bacon and blueberries making for a sizeable meal. The pancakes themselves are fluffy and soft and I enjoyed them with or without maple syrup just because they were perfectly cooked.


Purple Perk wouldn’t be a café without some great coffee. My go to is their Americano which packs a nice little kick, however during the summer I highly recommend their Vietnamese Coffee. Since I enjoy mine a bit less sweet, I just ask them to lessen the amount of condensed milk added to the cup. It’s a great way to beat the summer time heat especially when sitting on their outdoor patio. Oh and don’t forget to grab some dessert while you’re there, whether it be the silky smooth oreo cheesecake or the mile high carrot cake, they are not to be missed!

My Picks: Reuben Tuesday, Oreo Cheesecake

Overall: There are plenty of reasons why we always find ourselves back at Purple Perk, whether it be the food or the atmosphere, they’ve just got a little something that I can’t quite put my finger on. No matter what that is though, they’re doing it right with great eats, a welcoming setting and good coffee. Just writing this makes me want to go back right this minute.

Purple Perk Coffee Market
2212 4 Street SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 244-1300
Website: www.purpleperk.com

Purple Perk on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. I have been looking for some food places for having dessert and other traditional foods and now I know where to go! Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. Best of luck from https://www.chandlersboise.com/.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment