Simply Better Chocolate Cake


This past weekend I had the sudden urge to bake. Not necessarily having anything particular in mind I started rummaging through my pantry and fridge only to be disappointed by not finding any eggs (ate too many for breakfast) or butter (ate too much of it for dinner). So I started feverishly searching the internet for any recipe that can be made with what little I had left on hand. Lucky for me something interesting popped up, a cake recipe which didn’t require any butter or eggs. That was my simply better moment of the day.

There is nothing that brightens me up more than realizing that you can make something happen with what you’ve got. I have the adapted cake recipe below to share my simply better moment with everyone. Please let me know if you’ve got one as well. Would love to hear from everyone!

Check out simplybetter.ca for more information.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp canola oil
1 cup water


Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Grease and line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper makes it easier to remove the cake from the pan.

Fold a piece of parchment paper 4 times like in the photo. Place it the point around the middle of the pan, cut the outer edges of the paper. Unfold it and it should fit right in to your baking pan. Set aside.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and salt.

Add in the vinegar, vanilla, oil and water.

Fold the batter until all the ingredients are fully combined. Do not over mix.

Scoop the batter in to the baking pan.

Bake for approximately 35 mins or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let the pan cool for 5-10 mins, remove the cake from the baking pan and let cool entirely before decorating.

You can ice the cake or simply serve it with a dusting of icing sugar on top. It’s also great with melted chocolate on top.

Enjoy!

 

Comments