Restaurant Review: Bensonhurst Pizza Co


There have been pizza wars around the world for centuries debating whether the thin crust or deep dish pizza pie is king. So for those that can’t decide between the thick Chicago deep dish and the thin New York style, Bensonhurst is a new pizza joint on 17th Ave where you can order the best of both worlds.

Atmosphere: Funky interior design reminiscent of a restaurant in New York’s Meatpacking district with brick feature walls and an opening dining concept.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $20s

Food & Wine: I’m definitely a thin crust pizza person. I still remember the first time I bit in to my very first Neapolitan styled pizza in Italy and how it had forever changed my perspective on how pizza should be made and eaten. So it was inevitable that my eyes drifted towards all the different flavours of thin crust pizzas Bensonhurst had to offer. However, due to the various styles of thin crust, there was still quite a selection to peruse through. Was I craving the New York style, Neapolitan thin crust or Californian? In the interim while we were deciding we ordered some appetizers to start.


We were looking to try the Spicy Clams N Red Sauce, which was recommended by our server. However it was such a great seller that day, they were unfortunately out of clams and so our server recommended the Bensonhurst Caesar Salad made with romain hearts tossed with fresh herbs, agarlic and lemon aioli and topped with white anchovies. I am a huge fan of anchovies, I find that their brininess accentuates the dishes and helps round out the flavours and completes a dish (when used well). This was the case for the salad. It added a different dimension to the Caesar salad. Especially since the dressing was quite mellow. I like my caesars very garlicky, extremely so, but then again I really enjoy my garlic. My fellow dining companions…you have been warned.

We really wanted to order the Bensonhurst Classic (it came highly recommended), but alas there was only two of us and an 18” pizza meant we couldn’t sample any other flavours. Plus the Capricciosa and F and P Neapolitan style pizzas had already piqued our interest. We found out later that the kitchen is willing to do a half and half pizza if you ask nicely, if they’re off the same section of the menu. The Capricciosa consisted of pepperoni, salami, prosciutto, with mushrooms, onion, black olives and fior di latte mozzarella all on a tomato base. It’s definitely a meat lover’s dream as described on the menu. A perfect combination of salty, spicy and tanginess, the flavours melded well together. The crust was light and fluffy, not quite as chewy as others I’ve had but held up well against the tomato sauce and never became soggy.


The F and P featured sweet fig jam, prosciutto and gorgonzola cheese topped with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. I really enjoy sweet and salty combinations on pizza and the fig and prosciutto was a nice complement to each other. However, I did find that I was going back more to the capricciosa. It might be because I’ve always been a fan of meat lover’s pizzas.

For dessert we ordered the Beignets topped with a light dusting of icing sugar and accompanied by a side of melted chocolate nutella for dipping. The beignets were extremely light and even though they were deep fried, I didn’t find them greasy or heavy. The chocolate nutella was heavenly, not overly too sweet, it was delicious even on its own. We also ordered some ice cream on the side because dessert is always elevated with ice cream in my books. Nothing is better than doughy goodness with a hint of creamy cooling ice cream.

Evolution was our wine of choice, which went well with each dish beginning with the appetizer all the way through to dessert. Since the evolution white blend has been a favorite of mine since the first time I tasted it, there’s really no dish that it doesn’t complement in my mind. Light, crisp and medium bodied, it’s perfect for sipping chilled on the patio or with a light pizza or pasta dish.


My Picks: Capricciosa Pizza, Beignets (with a side of ice cream)

Overall: There are so many different selections of pizzas including styles of crusts to satisfy any craving. So if you’re undecided between a real thick pizza pie or one that’s thin and crispy. Go to Bensonhurst where you can order both to your hearts content!

Bensonhurst Pizza Co.
933 17 Ave SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 455-5561
Website: www.bensonhurstpizza.com

Bensonhurst Pizza Co. on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. Amazing post thanks for sharing the post.Your blogs are admirable and full of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment