We All Scream for Village Ice Cream!



As I was driving home the other day I noticed the leaves starting to turn yellow along the side of the road.  Immediately I began to panic because I am not looking forward to the ensuing cold weather that occurs once the leaves change color.  I am not ready for autumn or winter.  No matter how much I enjoy snowboarding or snowshoeing, I want to be able to BBQ outside, sit on a patio and dine al fresco! 

However I know that winter is inevitable, especially when living in Calgary. But one thing I refuse to give up just because its winter is ice cream! I will eat it when it’s hot out, cold out, on dessert, on it’s own, in a bowl or straight from the tub.  You get the idea.  I love ice cream and the recently opened Village Ice Cream shop allows me to indulge to my hearts content.

Located just around the corner from the Arriva condo tower on 10th Avenue is the new quaint little ice cream parlor.  Serving specialty hand crafted ice cream in unique flavours like Bourbon Butter Pecan, Lemon Poppyseed and Huckleberry.  Even though its easy to be tempted with all the different flavours, my fave is still the Village Vanilla Bean.  Smooth and richly flavoured with Madagascar vanilla beans, where the flecks of the seeds can be seen throughout the ice cream!  It’s not overly sweet but very indulgent.  I can definitely see it being a great accompaniment to many desserts.  However, I prefer it on its own.

The Toasted Coconut is another great option.  Full of coconut flavor, nicely creamy and smooth.  Great with a crunchy waffle cone! I enjoy getting it and then sandwiching it between cookies at home. Yum!  Hopefully it’s not just a summer specialty!

I’ve also had a chance to try some of their sorbets, which are very light and refreshing.  Perfect for the summer weather we’re having now, but I can see it being just as lovely during the winter months, especially when you’re craving something sweet but a little less creamy.  When we were there they were featuring a sorbet with hibiscus flower, which was very unique. The hibiscus added a nice floral note to the sorbet and made it a whole new flavor experience.

I know ice cream won’t be on many people’s minds especially during the long cold winter months in Calgary, but hopefully I’ve been able to convince some of you otherwise. It would help the winter blues! Or if you’re planning on having pumpkin or apple pie in the fall, I highly recommend pairing it with a gigantic scoop of ice cream!  All this talk about it has got me craving some right now…now if only I wasn’t so far away from downtown!

Village Ice Cream
431 10 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 261-7950
Website: www.villageicecream.com

Village Ice Cream on Urbanspoon

Comments