Restaurant Review: Rush Restaurant




I have another dinner date coming up with some of my closest friends soon and it reminded me of the last time we all got together. I’ve known some of them for more than 20 years. Growing up with them every step of the way! All through school we supported each other, be it good times or bad times, we were always there for one another. Even now when we’re all working and on different schedules, we tend to find time to meet up and reminisce. Even though it’s not nearly as easy now compared to when we were all still in school, but everybody makes a tremendous effort to keep in touch especially when we know good food and fun times are involved. This time at Rush was no different!

Atmosphere: Contemporary and elegant, with an impressive dining room which truly showcases both art and design.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $30+


Food and Wine: It has been a while since our group got together for dinner and when we usually get together, we try to taste everything! For starters we were able to sample almost all of the appies, the ones that resonated with me included the Duck Confit and Foie Gras Ravioli. It came as a single ravioli serving, which was a bit hard to share, but it was large enough that everyone got a couple bites and got to enjoy the velvety foie and duck. It was accompanied with earthy shitake mushrooms, creamy celery root and a tangy red wine jus. The Seared Sea Scallops had a nice charred outer layer without being overcooked on the inside. I enjoyed the sun chokes and bison which gave the scallops a nice texture contrast.


Majority of the group decided to order fish that evening and I was able to sample both the Ahi Tuna and Sablefish. The sablefish was pan seared, with a nice crust served with squid ink fettuccini a light dashi ginger sauce and fresh baby bok choy. The tuna was nicely rare in the center with a thin pepper crust, which was accented by the parsnip puree and horseradish foam. My entrée that evening was the Rack of Lamb, being the only person who ordered red meat, I didn’t regret my decision on bit. The lamb was done a perfect medium rare (I wouldn’t have it any other way) served over top autumn vegetables, perfectly smooth chickepea puree and a sweet port jus.

Our trend of trying almost everything on the menu continued with dessert when we ordered one of each. My favorite was the Chocolate Mousse with chocolate sorbet and raspberry coulis. It was decadent without overwhelming my palette and went very well with our wine. I’ve never been a bit fan of crème brulee, but I also never turn down dessert. The Trio of Crème Brulee that evening was espresso, vanilla, and peanut. Each pot was light and I believe was the crowd favorite that night. Next up was the Citrus dessert with meringue and a light sorbet. It was definitely refreshing, but I’m not a huge citrus dessert fan. Last but not least was the Rush S’mores with hazelnut ice cream. It consists of a thin graham cracker crust on top of slightly toasted marshmallows and a dusting of chocolate. The marshmallow itself was creamy, but I really enjoyed the hazelnut ice cream and wished there was more of it even if it was served by itself.


Our wine that evening was a relatively inexpensive bottle, but provides a bold complex flavours. The Dona Paula Malbec is my go to wine, when I want something I know will be big in character but without the price point. It tastes of berries with a peppery finish. Long smooth tannins and a nice medium to full body. The wine complimented my lamb well and accented the chocolate dessert perfectly.

My Picks: Duck Confit and Foie Gras Ravioli, Rack of Lamb


Overall: I’ve had the opportunity to visit Rush several times now and each time has surpassed my expectations in both flavour and service. Now that I’ve conditioned myself to great food and great service, how can I not come back with my amazing friends? If not anything, what are friends for but being able to share with one another remarkable experiences!

Rush Restaurant
100, 207 9 Ave SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 271-7874
Website: http://www.rushrestaurant.com/

Rush on Urbanspoon

Comments