Restaurant Review: Bistro 2210



With so many great restaurants around town, it’s often hard to pick and choose where to go. I enjoy trying new restaurants and tasting different dishes like the next person, but I do find that I tend to wonder back to certain places. True, the décor and setting might not have changed but the menus often do. So whenever I do return to a restaurant I’ve previously been to, it’s always a different experience and sometimes that’s just what I’m looking for. The known and unknown all wrapped in to one. Enter Bistro 2210.

Atmosphere: Cozy, comfortable and intimate defines this dining space. Warm accents are found surrounding the petite tables, where many are hungering for more.

Price Range: Mid $10s - $30

Food and Wine: The menu features a daily special and we happened to be there on Moules (mussles) night. So I had to get an order. We decided to share the Provencal Mussels, made with the quintessential white wine, garlic and butter, with a bit of tomato thrown in for extra acid. The sauce was very light and the butter just managed to enhance the flavours as opposed to drown them, which added to the sweetness of the mussels. The Frites (fries) were extremely crisp, the only way fries should ever be served in my opinion. The crispier the better, it helped that they were cut extremely fine as well. Helps with the crunch factor.


For my main, I ordered the Steak Frites (I couldn’t get enough of the fries…). It was a 6oz tenderloin, seared to a perfect rare state. The meat itself was tender, as a tenderloin should be. The fries were just as crispy as before and it reinforced my decision to stick with more fries. The creamy aioli dip was irresistible as well. My friends all seemed to enjoy their entrees as well, most of them deciding on the more decadent Mac n Cheese.

A dinner isn’t dinner without dessert. I opted for the Pumpkin Mousse, which tasted exactly like the middle of a pumpkin pie. Light but satisfying, it was all topped off with a sweet whipped cream and a little ginger cookie, what a perfect ending to a gratifying meal!

I don’t believe we had wine that night, opting to go with the other libations that Bistro 2210 had to offer. However, I remember enjoying a Bordeaux and wanted to include it here. The bottle was a blend from Chateau Nenine, it had bold berry flavours which could be picked up right away. It definitely mellowed out after a bit of aeration, allowing the oak to shine through a bit more. A nice medium bodied wine.


My Picks: Mussels and House Cut Fries

Overall: Like the many other times I’ve been to Bistro 2210, it was another satisfying evening. I truly enjoy ‘tasting the seasons’ so to speak, in the menu they’ve created, making the unknown part of the known, that much more exciting.

Bistro 2210
2210 4 Street SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 228-4528
Website: http://www.bistro2210.com/

Bistro Twenty Two Ten on Urbanspoon

Comments

  1. I have also enjoyed this restaurant each time we went there. Tried the mussels as well, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could probably eat the mussels as a meal! =) Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment