Bruschetta and Market 17


Bruschetta

Since the first time I visited Cassis Bistro, I’ve made a mental note to check out the organic food market, Market 17, connected to the restaurant. What better way to ensure fresh ingredients at a restaurant then to have your supplier next door!

I just had to stop by one day on my way home from work and pick up some fresh ingredients for a recipe I had in mind…bruschetta! Cravings usually win the war in my world.

To my amazement, the market carried many different items that couldn’t be found in regular grocery stores. I found myself lost in there for quite some time and ended up picking up a few items that weren’t necessarily in my ingredients list. Right now they also have a few items on special for the month of December and I was informed that they’re promoting items for the Christmas season and the Drogheria Balsamic Glaze was one of them. Perfect for bruschetta! See here for their other specials.

Drogheria Balsamic

Usually I make my own balsamic reduction for bruschetta (instructions included below), but I was a bit short for time and decided to try the imported Italian glaze instead. I found the glaze to be sweet and tangy, a nice addition to the bruschetta. It’s a bit less tart then reducing my own balsamic vinegar and would go nicely with many different appetizers or salads.

Nutritional Tidbit: Not only is balsamic vinegar low in calories, but it’s full of antioxidants. Great at fighting off free radicals that cause damage to our bodies. It has also been shown to boost digestive enzymes in the body, which is good for heartburn and other stomach related issues.

Organic Tomatoes

Bruschetta Recipe
Ingredients:
4 small tomatoes, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
5 basil leaves, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Balsamic glaze or 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 loaf crusty bread, I prefer sourdough but any baguette works

Preparation:
In a medium sized bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil and olive oil.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cut the bread in to 1/2 inch slices.

Place a spoonful of the tomato mixture on top of the bread.

Drizzle the balsamic reduction on top and serve. (Or if you don’t have a reduced balsamic glaze, you can reduce your own balsamic vinegar. Place 1/2 cup of the balsamic vinegar in a small pan on low to medium heat. Let it go on a small boil for 15-20 mins or until the vinegar starts becoming thick. Cool and use as a glaze.)

The bruschetta can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in an air tight container in the fridge. Making it ahead actually allows the flavours to blend and come together.



As an aside, another great thing about Market 17 was the fact that they carried Sidewalk Citizen Bread, known for their scones and sourdough bread in Calgary. I couldn’t help but pick up a baguette to use as a base in my bruschetta. What a great one stop shop!

Market 17 at Casel Marche
2503 17 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB
(403) 770-4700
Website: www.caselmarche.com

Comments