Restaurant Review: L'epicerie French Deli



When I indulge, whether it be really good crispy fries with creamy aioli or an extremely decadent dessert, I want it to be just that. The best of the best. If I was going to eat a chocolate chunk cookie, I want it to be warm and soft with big chunks of chocolately pieces in each bite. If I’m going to be bending the rules (and obviously it’s something that I felt was well worth it), then why not take it beyond. So if I was craving a really amazing French sandwich, where else would I go then to L’epicerie located on Macleod Trail for what else? Their delectable French sandwiches and soups of course!

Atmosphere: A quaint French styled bistro surrounding serving soups and sandwiches du jour to fine French deli imports

Price Range: up to mid $10s

Food: I’ve heard many great things about L’epicerie for a while now but couldn’t seem to find time to visit because they’re not open on Sundays (our usual days or lounging around and brunch). So when we finally got a chance to get out of running some errands, we ran straight over to sample their delectable soup and sandwiches.

I ordered the decadent Duck Rillette Sandwich (similar to a duck pate) made with big chunks of tender duck. The creamy rillette melded perfectly with the fresh crunchy baguette and crispy lettuce. It was very rich, but perfect with a nice cup of coffee. As a side I opted for the Lobster Bisque, which you could also buy to take home. It was creamy and had a strong lobster taste, perfect for a cold day.

My husband ordered the Le Breton Sandwich which has ham, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers all stuffed inside a French baguette. His sandwich was a bit lighter than mine, but still just as scrumptious as ever. All the veggies were fresh and the ham was nicely salted. He got a mixed salad as his side, which had a very light dressing and complimented our meal well.

My Pick: Any of the Rillettes as a sandwich or to go.

Overall: Aside from the delicious sandwiches, L’epicerie also offers cassoulets and boeuf bourguignon if you’re looking for something a bit heartier. It was also fun looking through all the different French imports displayed throughout the store. It’s like having a little piece of Paris here in Calgary and I can’t wait to go back to pick up some French specialities like chestnut spread.

L'epicerie
1325 First Street SE
Calgary, AB
(403) 514-0555
Website: www.dominiquemoussu.com

L'Epicerie on Urbanspoon

Comments