Restaurant Review: Koi Vegas


Black Cod


If I haven’t yet mentioned as to why I found myself in Vegas then I guess a lot of my stories would probably not make much sense. So I better explain the back story. Simply put, I was in Vegas for a very good girlfriend’s stagette, her last send off as a single lady (since a certain someone was smart enough to put a ring on it). Firstly, since it was her party and she suggested Vegas, Vegas bound we headed. Secondly, she loves sushi and so we pulled up our chairs to the tables of Planet Hollywood’s Koi.

Atmosphere: Classy Asian inspired dining area and lounge with a contrasting serene and scintillating ambiance.

Price: Mid $10s - $30s

Sushi and Mains: There was a rather large group of us, so it did take a bit for everyone to get settled, drinks to be ordered and food to be decided on. A companion and I decided to share so we could both sample a bit more of the menu (my favourite way to dine).

Since everyone else ordered individual portions our meal ended up arriving all at once. It was a bit of a wait between ordering and receiving our meals, but again, there were some who decided on appetizers and drinks had to be served up so it wasn’t too bad. Plus the servers weren’t that bad to look at, only to pass the time of course.

Sauteed Shrimp Roll
The first dish we tried was the Miso Bronzed Black Cod served over a medley of vegetables. I found the cod to be a bit over done and saltier than I would have liked. I’ve had black cod several times before at other sushi establishments and was really hoping for the buttery melt in your mouth feel of the cod. This one didn’t quite do it for me. It was far from being a bad dish, but definitely not the best.

Next up were our sushi orders, we decided to try two of the Koi Signature Sushi Rolls. The first being the Sauteed Shrimp Roll, which is composed of baby shrimp, asparagus and mushrooms in a light soy based sauce served over top a simple California roll. It was definitely different with the contrasting warmth of the shrimp over the cold California roll. Again I found it to be a bit over salted and started to question my palate at this point since my companion found everything to be ok. I push forward.

The second signature roll we sampled was the Baked Lobster Roll. The roll came in 6 pieces with slices of baked lobster on top of each and a creamy rice paper roll underneath. When I first bit in to the roll I was amazed at how well balanced the creaminess was between the baked lobster and the mayo sauce in the rice roll. The flavours melded together amazingly well and were perfectly seasoned. It was definitely unique and stood out amongst all the other dishes we’ve had so far. My only complaint was there wasn’t more than 6 pieces per order.

Baked Lobster Roll
We also tried the Spicy Tuna Roll, which wasn’t really all that spicy and didn’t taste all that different from any other sushi place I’ve ordered it from before. The Sauteed Asparagus and Mushroom side reminded me of the sautéed shrimp on top of our California rolls (in both look and flavour) and again wasn’t much of a stand out, but it did provide us with much needed fiber and vegetables in a grain and protein heavy meal.

My Pick: Baked Lobster Roll

Overall: The most important thing was the bachelorette had fun and enjoyed herself at Koi. The next pretty important thing would be the lobster roll. Sitting here I can still taste the creamy texture and flavour of that roll and would definitely go back to order nothing but it. However, with that I can imagine that there were lots of other delicious items on the menu that still needs to be tasted and I’ll gladly go back to sample them, plus gazing at the servers was pretty fun too. We had to past the time somehow! So anybody else having a stagette in Vegas soon?

Koi
Planet Hollywood
3667 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, NV 89109
(702) 454-4555
Website: www.koirestaurant.com/home_lv.html

Koi (Planet Hollywood) on Urbanspoon

Comments