Butternut Squash Soup and Old Man Winter


Butternut Squash Soup

Ok winter, I get it, you win. I surrender to your all encompassing power of being able to kill any and all of my desire to go out and socialize because I’m too busy sitting at home trying to tend to my cold. But now that I am sick is it possible for you to just take a small vacation or even just hibernate for 10 months or so? I’m sure you’re probably all worked out anyhow, with having to try so hard to be cold for oh-so-long this year.

Phew, I had to get that out of my system…I really just don’t know what else to say anymore. It’s been so cold and I’m so tired of being sick. The weather people did say that it was going to be cold winter, but they never mentioned anything about it lasting for 4 months. Well here’s hoping that this is the last cold spell and it only gets better from here on out (it's Calgary, who am I kidding, maybe my cold is making me delusional as well).

As for this particular -40ºC (with windchill, yay!) moment (and what it looks like, the rest of this week based on the weather channel), just try to stay warm and what better way to do that then with a great soup recipe. This recipe is quick and easy to make plus it is chalk full of vitamins to help beat the cold bug.

Nutritional Tidbit: Butternut squash is packed full of fiber, which most adult Canadians and Americans do not get enough of daily. But that’s not all the orange color provides super high levels of beta-carotene which is good for your eyes, carotenoids which prevents against heart disease and a good amount of vitamin C, perfect for fighting all the cold bugs out there this winter. Its’ sweetness lends well to both savoury (tagines, soups, risottos) and sugary (Asian syrupy desserts) dishes, so don’t be afraid to try new things with this amazing squash!

Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash SoupYou can really change up the soup by using different garnishes on top. I really enjoy cilantro and truffle oil, but definitely try parsley, green onion and others! If you're interested the original recipe can be found here.

Ingredients:4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 cups onion, chopped
2-3 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
Nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Cilantro for garnish
Truffle oil

Preparation:In a pot over medium heat, put in 1 tbsp of canola oil and sautee the onions until translucent.

Add in the butternut squash and chicken broth.

Pour in the water until it just covers the squash, allow everything to simmer for 15-20 mins.

Once the squash is tender, you can either remove all the ingredients with a slotted spoon and puree them in a food processor and add it back in to the broth or you can puree the ingredients with an immersion hand blender (which is what I prefer, saves time from having to remove the ingredients and add them back in)

Add in the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon in to a bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro and a drizzle of truffle oil (both are optional). Enjoy!

Comments